Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

02 March 2013

Status Report: March

Running: a bit late because of the Prompted to Write post yesterday.  And looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds.

Eating: a fresh peach.

Drinking: tea.  Decaf tea.  And it is OK.

Reading: Leviticus, Psalms in the 40s, Proverbs 10 and Mark.

Also reading: Communion with God by John Owen.  Well, perhaps reading is a somewhat loose term.  I have the bookmark in at the beginning of the fourth chapter and it's been there for quite a while.  Made a good start and felt myself resting into God's goodness, sovereignty, love, might and power.  But reading time has been somewhat elusive this last week or two. 

Watching: Lost in Austen. It's great viewing - a wonderful companion on ironing nights.  And having read Pride and Prejudice lately, all the more clever than the last time I watched it.

Pondering: over one of the most useful things I read on the internet last year (well, it is the thing that has stuck and it's a shame that I can't remember where I read it) - that when young people aren't towing the line, as it were, they may be needing evangelism rather than discipleship.  Telling a young person that what they are doing isn't honouring to God (or whatever language you want to use) could well be met with eye rolling (or worse) if they haven't apprehended the good news of Jesus for themselves.  They need evangelism, not discipleship.  Great wisdom.

Feeling: oh so very fit.  Well, a bit fitter than I was a month ago, having joined a gym when school went back.  One of those 24/7 ones with no classes, not many staff (or staffed hours), just lots of machines that they house and maintain. There are some machines that I WILL NEVER USE and I said so to the man who was giving me the guided tour.  In the end he got the drift and was saying, "Now this one, well, we won't bother with that one because you probably won't be using it."  And of one in particular he said, "Now, don't ever use this one.  There are others that will achieve the same things and you are better off using them.  This one will be plain dangerous for you."  I was more than happy to hear him say that.  And am happily riding the exercise bike (10km at level five) and rowing the rowing machine (1km at level 10.)  It's a start.  I've probably done more exercise in February than I did last year. 

Convinced: that day time television is TERRIBLE.  I don't watch TV.  At all.  Especially during the day.  (I watch DVDs when I do the ironing and we watch an episode of Bear Grylls each week as a family, but that is all.)  But at the gym I have been channel surfing with the little screen on the bike.  And I have concluded that day time television is dreadful.  It is easy to see how shut ins and stay at homes who turn to the television for company can become depressed.   Going to start listening to music and sermons from now on. 

Chuffed: with my cooking efforts.  Went in with a blaze of glory and introduced six new recipes within ten days.  Especially loving Donna Hay's fish poached in tomato and basil.  And pork san chow boy is excellent but it is important to follow the recipe regarding the amount of ginger.  Everyone has taken to new foods well.  However I peaked too quickly and didn't try anything new during February.  So it is probably time to pull out the books and find some more recipes to try before I get stuck in a new cooking rut.

Thankful: to God for all the things, big and small, that He has given me to fill my days.  And thankful day by day for strength and health to do them. 

No comments: