Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

06 February 2013

And this summer's reading

Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner.  Brilliant.  Looking forward to reading it again at some stage.  In the meantime, if anyone local wants to borrow my copy, let me know.


Which prompted me to reread Gilead by Marilynne Robinson.  It's still good.



And then there was Jane Austen.  I received this gorgeous anthology for Christmas. 


I have watched lots of films and television series of Jane Austen adaptations as well as various spin offs.  But as it happens I haven't ever read any of her actual words.  I should have read Emma at university but that particular course operated at the rate of a one novel per week for the whole year alongside another unit I was doing that also involved reading a novel each week (and not the same novel) - and so Emma was one that slipped through the net.  (Not much to contribute during that tutorial.)  This anthology presents JA's novels in order of their publication.  So far I have read Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice.  Turns out that I serendipitously read the closing chapters of P&P on day of its 200th anniversary.  Currently reading Mansfield Park.  It did take me a while to settle into her style but I am happily there now and looking forward to the rest.  (And you know that you have settled into the style when you spontaneously answer your husband's text message, "Can you come and get me now?" with "We shall set out soon.")

I also reread How to Really Love your Child by Ross Campbell.  Interestingly I came upon some details that didn't sit all that comfortably on this second read through.  However they were just details and in essence I still think this book is excellent.  It was definitely worth reading through it again and I am glad to be reminded of all the good principles held therein.  I will be reading this annually until such time as I need to be reading How to Really Love Your Teenager annually instead, which in fact is not that far off in one case.

No comments: