Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

31 January 2010

45 Days

Forty five days ago school finished for the year.  Tomorrow marks the beginning of the new school year.  It's been a lovely summer.  Here are 45 glimpses of the last 45 days...
  1. Went on a bus trip through the city a week before Christmas to see the Christmas lights with thirty five others from our church.
  2. Celebrated Christmas wonderfully.
  3. Finished my Christmas cards on the 30th December and proved once and for all that if you keep saying, "It's OK, tomorrow night's free, I'll do some then," continuously between 1st and 20th December, then yes, you will finish your Christmas cards just before New Year!
  4. Celebrated my birthday over several days and lovely occasions.
  5. Bought a new washing machine.  The old one finally gave up the ghost just in time for the post Christmas sales! And the 6kg one I ended up choosing uses half the water and has two more stars for energy efficiency than the 7.5kg I intended to buy.  Who needs an extra 1.5kgs anyway?? 
  6. Went to Rottnest Island for a day to hang out with friends holidaying over there.
  7. Went to Moore River and stayed there with good friends for three days.
  8. Saw the totally miss-able "Alvin and the Chipmunks" at the movies.
  9. Saw seven growling, big, robotic dinosaurs at the museum.  Expensive but worthwhile.
  10. Watched R pass to the next stage in swimming lessons.
  11. Spent good time with friends who were in town from Adelaide and Manchester.
  12. Farewelled friends who have moved to the opposite end of the state.  Sob sob...
  13. Swam in the ocean at different points along the coast and in four different swimming pools.
  14. Cleaned the gutters against torrential rain from summer storms to avoid a leaking roof.
  15. Joined Facebook.  I seem to go mad in January.  I started to blog last January!
  16. Listened to good talks and music on my iPod while hand watering the lawn and watching swimming lessons.
  17. Ate out at two different Thai restaurants.  I went to one of them twice!!
  18. Made it through several days over 40 degrees celsius, including three in a row at one stage.
  19. Went to a university graduation ceremony.
  20. Did sufficient housework - but I now face some catching up.
  21. Started a new Bible reading plan.
  22. Put my new bird bath in the garden.  It was great to watch a honey eater having a play in the water yesterday while I had my quiet time.
  23. Kept my pots of herbs alive...although the parsley is looking a little worse for wear.  The hydrangea however will need major TLC if it is going to see another Christmas - I have new pot ready to improve its life.
  24. Met a blogging buddy in real life.  That was fun.
  25. Watched some fireworks on Australia Day.
  26. Ate lots of Asian-style, mayo-free coleslaw.
  27. Read five sevenths of The Narnia Chronicles.
  28. Got a third column on my blog.  Thanks Sharon!!
  29. Went through three tubes of sunscreen.
  30. Only got a tiny bit sunburnt once.
  31. Spring cleaned my desk.  It's good to be able to breathe again.
  32. Notched up 25 years since I got my driver's licence.
  33. Joined the Calvin Club
  34. Watched "Ice Age 3" a lot.  And "Aladdin" quite a lot.
  35. Made only slow progress on "West Wing."
  36. Watched several movies on DVD with my husband.  My favourite was "Night at the Museum". It was really funny. 
  37. Declared 2010 to be the Year of the Roast.  Just waiting for the weather to cool down and a moment to start reading the Jamie Oliver books.
  38. Bought new Colorado sandals with some Christmas money from my mum.
  39. Went to Ikea to buy four kilograms of meatballs.  There are a few meals in a hurry and unexpected dinner guests sorted out for the next little while.
  40. Speaking of food, learned how to delicately pan fry salmon.  A delicious, summer holiday treat.
  41. Worked out that I can probably blog more often than just once a week during January but am absolutely certain I will only be able to blog once a week (or even less) during December.
  42. Taught N to write his name just in time for Kindy.
  43. Enjoyed slower, later mornings and correspondingly later evenings.  Shall have to reign that in pretty soon.  Well, immediately actually.
  44. In preparation for tomorrow, labelled a great number of pencils, textas and other items of stationery and covered a few books too.  The whole process took THREE episodes of "West Wing" (which was the first real progress I've made in that department for a while - see # 35) although I suspect it may have gone a little faster were I NOT watching West Wing while I was doing it.
  45. Thought lots about what I will do when N is at Kindy two days a week this year.
So summer's over.  Time for the year to begin!

2 comments:

Helen said...

Oh my! A girl leaves town and look how busy you get! LOL I am very proud to think that you joined FB and started a blog in January, see, it's not scarey is it? :)

Meredith said...

Well Helen, you leave and I have no-one to talk to and a whole lot more time on my hands so I just had to go and find some Facebook friends instead. Blogging is definitely not scary. Not so sure that Facebook isn't just a little bit scary...