Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

24 October 2014

I'm planning to read the Bible next year...

...and I already have in mind the plan I am planning to use.  You may think next year is too far away to be making such plans. 

But if perchance you have big plans for your Bible reading in 2015 here's my tip for the day.  Start now.  Today.  I don't mean starting your 2015 reading plan today - although if you did you could certainly get well ahead and avoid the need for catching up later on if things don't go quite to plan...  No, I mean start reading the Bible today.  Because research shows (actually, I have no empirical data to back this up) that if the Bible reading habit isn't there, doing all that New Year's resolution stuff probably isn't going to help beyond January.  So start today, form the habit and be up and running by the beginning of the new year.

Want some reading ideas to see you through to January? 

You could read one or more of the gospels in the lead up to Christmas.  John plus one of the others is always a good combo. 
Reading Luke and Acts - one running on from the other - is a great project. 
Or read John, the letters of John and Revelation.  Being familiar with the language and themes of John adds an extra layer of richness when you tackle Revelation
An interesting Old Testament project is to read Ezra and Nehemiah (the history books covering the return from the exile) with (and this is the bit that makes it super interesting) their accompanying prophets Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi - the  last bit of Old Testament action before all goes quiet leading up to Jesus.
And if you need some Psalms, numbers 90 to 100 are pressed down, shaken together and running over (Lk 6:38) with adoration, grace, joy and pastoral care.

Go well.  The best book to read is the Bible.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Meredith, I think I will begin today.
And having a plan will guide me. I am praying constantly for God to show me, tell me and guide me in the path I should go.
His word is all I need,AMen

Meredith said...

Hello dear Anon.
Hooray for you. I have just prayed that you will be blessed and encouraged in your Bible reading adventure.
Mx