Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

01 April 2014

Autumn update - 2014

Tasmanian autumn leaves from last year's amazing holiday

Decided: after I posted the summer update right on the first day of summer that I would wait a bit with future seasonal updates until we were actually into said season.  It does take a while for these seasons to kick in, after all.  And can I say that it was great to have some rain over the weekend.  I was very glad I'd cleaned the gutters earlier in the week. I've heard it reported that we received 19.6mm of rain in March, which happens to be the exact average rainfall for March.  19.6mm is also the total amount of rain that's fallen since 1st November 2013.  So yes, the rain was welcome.  And yes, the gutters did need a good clean before the rain fell.

Celebrated: the change in weather by cooking this soup.  The adults enjoyed it.  It was probably a bit too much to introduce paprika, cumin and lentils to the boys all at the same time.

Became: the manager of a basketball team on the weekend as well.  (It was a big weekend.)  So now I know exactly what constitutes a one pointer, a two pointer and a three pointer, I can find my way around a score sheet (you have to do a whole lot more than just keep a tally of the points it seems) and I can get those points transferred onto the electronic scoreboard.  Piece of cake.  Sort of.  And then after that little triumph they tell me the whole system is going digital half way through the season with iPads and all sorts.  Taking deep breaths.  One step at a time.

Reading: not a great deal at the moment.  But I do have a bookmark in GPS: God's Salvation Plan by Allan Chapple, which I hope to get back to soon.  I can't wait to tell you about this one. 

Keeping up: with my Bible reading plan and loving it.  Every year is richer and better than the one before. 

Philippians Project: is going slowly.  I am eleven verses in and that little amount is pretty shaky (although I do have a chunk of chapter two and a chunk of chapter four under my belt.)  I have an appalling memory but I am not discouraged.  When I do a bit of work on this it is pure joy and I'm not working to a deadline.

Drinking: tea.  Of course.  You knew that.

Eating: an apple slinky.  Prepared for me by my son.  The roles are reversing - he is cutting up my fruit now.  Hilarious. 

Pretty excited: while on the subject of food, to find one of these in the shops on the weekend.  How good is that?  A giant Kit Kat bar.  There is one in my fridge.  Yay.

Thinking through: the notion of the lazy diary.  I still love the idea and it turns out that, despite what I thought with my fairly over-scheduled life, I DO have a lazy diary.  I walked into this year with my time so tightly scheduled that I described my week to one friend as "gridlocked."  But since then some old folks close to my heart have needed some extra time, care and help all of a sudden and while my week is packed, because most of what I do is all voluntary there is capacity to shift and change and move and cancel when needs dictate.  And so there has been plenty of shifting and changing.  And also not much house cleaning.  But maybe that last bit isn't so different from normal...

Consequently: my days really are quite packed now and by evening I am pretty tired.  Blogging may or may not slow down for a while.  I wouldn't want to make a definite call on this.  I've done that in the past and then found myself posting twenty posts in twenty days.  But if it goes quiet (or at least quieter) for a while I am OK, just busy by day and sleeping by night.

Speaking of: the volunteering thing, I filled in a form (make that a veritable swag of forms) to enrol the child who is now able to make his mother an apple slinky into high school next year and on the line that requires me to list my profession what did I say?  Home duties.  Honestly, totally spineless.  In the heat of the moment, I thought the "volunteer" thing was just too I don't know what for my opening foray into a new school. Maybe next time. 

Loving: this little acrostic that turned up on Facebook during the week.  This could be very useful with the school holidays coming up.

Been creative
Outside play
Read a book
Exercise for 20 minutes
Do something useful

Signing off: with the words from Philippians currently spiraling around my head.  Some words to encourage those of you who have so encouraged me here in the blogosphere.  Thank you.

I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart and, whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God’s grace with me. God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.
And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.
Philippians 1:3-11

No comments: