Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

12 January 2014

The year of...

Every year the United Nations declares it to "the International Year of ___ (fill in the blank)."  A year to raise awareness and celebrate particular causes.

This year it's the International Year of Small Island Developing States and the International Year of Family Farming AND the International Year of Crystallography.

Since starting this blog, I've given each year a designation as well. 

2009 was the Year of Optimism and the Year of the Garden.
2010 was the Year of the Roast.
2011 was the Year of Five New Things.
2012 was the Year of Praying for my Friends.
And 2013...well, 2013 didn't get a name.  Maybe it was the Year of the Strawberry Meringue Stack.

Plans for 2014 are still forming and settling into place.  Some of the goals for the year include:-
1.  The Daily Bible Reading plan.
2.  Memorising the whole of Philippians.  (Yes!  You read it first here.)
3.  Learning how to use a slow cooker.  Once the weather cools down I will be calling for your best slow cooker recipes.  Get them ready.

And there's a handful of plans and ideas brewing, not yet Internet ready.  So there is to be no naming of the year as yet.  That will perhaps come later.

That said, twelve days into the year, I find I have five books other than the Bible on the go at the moment.  Two on the go is abnormal for me.  I'm not quite sure what's going on here.  Short concentration span?  And not two days after Deb's post on hot cross buns I found myself at a friend's house eating one.  With real butter.  It was delicious.  I'd barely dusted off the fruit mince pie crumbs.

So maybe it will be the Year of Outrageousness...in my own mild mannered way.  Time will tell.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

The slow cooker is actually great in summer as it doesn't heat up the kitchen!

Rachael said...

Hey, memorising Philippians is such a grand idea! Can I join in? I probably won't get very far, but better start than not. Do you have a plan for how to do it? Mark Peterson has a CD on reflections on Philippians (Whatever Happens) which might be a good accompaniment to such a plan.

Meredith said...

That is an excellent point Wendy. Good thinking.

Meredith said...

Hi Rachael.
Sure you can join in! I'm planning on starting by listening to the opening 15 minutes of John Piper's sermon from here...

http://www.desiringgod.org/sermons/holding-fast-the-word-of-life-in-2010

where he recites the whole of Philippians himself. I think he is running from the ESV, and I am an NIV '84 girl myself but it will be close enough. Just going to listen to it quite a lot of times as time allows. That is quite ironic given that I am a visual learner. But there you go.

Then I am going to photocopy it off and just keep it with me to work on while I am out and about and have spare moments here and there.

So not very technical.

If you are able to download from the internet easily that sermon is excellent, even just for the recitation...but what follows is also good. (I have referred to it here on my blog multiple times.)

That's the plan. Let's keep in touch and see how we are going.

Mx