Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

01 September 2013

Status Report: September

Reading: Persuasion by Jane Austen

Not reading: Church History in Plain Language by Bruce L. Shelley.  Not because I don't like it.  It turns out that contrary to what I said last month, I can't in fact have two books on the go at once.  Certainly not when one of them is fiction and the other non-fiction.  And although Northanger Abbey was not my favourite, I am really enjoying this jaunt through the Austens and now can't put this big tome down until they are all finished.  So Persuasion it is, followed by her short epistolary novel Lady Susan.  And then I will go back to the church history book.

Amassing: a rather large reading list to follow Ms Austen and Mr Shelley.

Loving: this little book.


Which is full of lovely pictures like this...


Pages and pages of detailed "secret garden" ink drawings filled with hidden ladybirds and hearts and other loveliness ready to be coloured in.  I bought it during August.  I won't be able to use it for Scripture classes because photocopying it will breach copyright, so in lots of ways I am completely unsure why I purchased it. But it is such a nice book, printed on really good quality paper.  Actually, it is the same sort of paper that my Austen tome is printed on...  Perhaps say no more.

Stocked up:  on IKEA meatballs again.  Phew.  The supply was running a little low there for a while.

Never imagined: I would be the type of mum to have five different sorts of cereal open and on the go at once. 

Undecided: whether or not to post a Prompted to Write topic later today or tomorrow.  I've been throwing a couple of ideas around for a week or two but neither are really grabbing me.

Glad: to be honest, that August is done and dusted.  It has felt a lot like trekking through the mud this month.  When I was full time in the classroom I'd often fall into a slump come August - the end of the grey winter months, a long way from the shiny start of the year, a long way until the victorious end, the month leading up to the athletics carnival (agh).  I don't know how relevant all of that is away from the school setting or whether I am just being Pavlovian, but it's been feeling pretty schlumpy around here. 

Glad then: to welcome September and Spring. 

Needing therefore: to get into the yard and excavate the plants from the winter weeds in order to fully enjoy the new season. I've been planning to get into the excavation project a bit lately but when there is a window of energy and opportunity it seems to start raining.  We need the rain.  But I need my weeds to be dry (or at least dry-ish) before I will go trudging through them. 

What a mess!

Somewhere in there are my beloved agapanthus plants...

Better go: and do some gardening.

No comments: