Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

01 August 2013

Status Report: August

Reading: Church History in Plain Language by Bruce L. Shelley.  It's good to be reading a church history survey again.  Once again I am reminded of what I wrote here about church history...

The first time I read through an overview of the history of the church (2000 years thus far) my overwhelming thought was, "It is a miracle that the church has survived." As much as the church has been carried along, under God, by faithful men and women, so also have other men and women done their best to see its undoing. Were the church a human construct, it simply wouldn't have survived. The church is truly God's church. To read church history is to see evidence that God is sovereign. And that is a great blessing. Praise be to God.

Also reading: Emma by Jane Austen.  My fourth Austen for the year.  For times when I want something light for a chapter or two.  It's unusual for me to have two books on the go at once.  But it seems to be working at the moment.

And reading: the Bible.  But you already knew that.  (So make that three books on the go at once.)

Convicted: last Sunday during church when I heard this single verse read out:

"The Lord is in his holy temple; let all the earth keep silence before him." Habakkuk 2:20. 

There hasn't been enough keeping silence before the Lord lately.

Loving: this quote that a friend (a real one) put up on Facebook earlier this week.  From Keith Thomas’s The Ends of Life: Roads to Fulfilment in Early Modern England:

"In 1657 the inhabitants of the London parish of St Dunstan’s in the West prosecuted one James Farr ‘for making and selling of a drink called 'coffee', whereby in making the same he annoyeth his neighbours by evil smells".


Discovered: that when Google took away Google Reader (which was actually well before 1st July in my neck of cyberspace) they didn't take away my reading list.  I thought that would go too and that I would lose the links to the blogs I like.  So I put all the links into an old fashioned "Favourites" list, just in case Feedly didn't come through with the goods, and found that the reading list remains.  Good news.

Enjoying:  a new twist on gravy that I learned from Recipes+.  You dice half an onion into absolute tiny-ness and sauté it.  When done add a teaspoon or two of balsamic vinegar.  Then (and the purists should turn away for this next bit) blend in three tablespoons of gravy powder and the required amount of water.  And there you have it.  Very delicious gravy with a tang.

Also enjoying: the season of lemons.  Lots of friends with lots of lemon trees = lots of lemons.  I squeeze them and freeze the juice in individual iceblocks - enough for hot lemon drinks in the winter and cold lemon drinks in the summer.  People keep asking me, "Are you sure you want some more lemons?  Don't take them if you really don't want them."  Truly, there can never be too many lemons.  Enjoying the profits of a friend's grapefruit tree at the moment too.

Off: to squeeze a few more lemons, make a cup of tea and think about what's coming up this month.  How is August looking for you?

No comments: