Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

05 August 2013

Aramaic, Latin and Greek

"Pilate had a notice prepared and fastened to the cross.  It read: JESUS OF NAZARETH, THE KING OF THE JEWS.  Many of the Jews read this sign, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city, and the sign was written in Aramaic, Latin and Greek." 
John 19:19
------------------------------------------------------------------

"The highly respected German scholar Adolf Harnack calculated that by A.D. 250 no less than 30,000 Christians lived in Rome.  Most of these came from the poorer classes.  We know this because for more than a century Christians in Rome spoke Greek, the language of slaves and poor men.  True Romans of the upper classes used Latin."
From Church History in Plain Language by Bruce L. Shelley p.31
 
------------------------------------------------------------------

And I have this noted in the margins of my previous Bible at John 19:19...

Pilate's sign:
Aramaic/Hebrew - the language of religion.
Greek- the language of culture and thought.
Latin - the language of government, law and institutions.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just in case you ever wondered why Pilate wrote his sign in three languages.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That book sounds right up my alley!

Meredith said...

Well, I'm not in as far as I would have hoped by now. Ms Austen is distracting me. However what I have read has been very good. I expect I will have more to say when I am further in.