Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

01 July 2013

Status Report: July

Amazed: that it is July.  So soon.

Sorted: myself onto Feedly by way of a reader with the impending demise of Google Reader.  It was an 11th hour bid - late at night on 30th June.  And happily it seemed I didn't need to get myself  Chrome to manage it - it was quite happy with Internet Explorer.  (I've got no idea what I'm talking about...tossing about all these techno-terms.  Don't be fooled.)  That said, from where I am sitting right now, it doesn't seem to have disappeared yet, although as Ali said here, maybe it just isn't 1st July in Google-land quite yet.  Shall see what tomorrow brings.

Saw: The Great Gatsby during June.  I went during the middle of the day in the middle of the week - it felt even naughtier than being out on a school night - on my own and armed with a bag of maltesers that I didn't need to share with anyone (not the jumbo sized bag FYI.)  It was an opulent, depressing, visually rich, sad, perfectly executed film.  Magnificent. Luhrmann absolutely nailed it.

Love: love, LOVED a visit from my dear buddy also during June.  She flew in from another part of Australia and stayed with us for a few days, en route to other parts.  So wonderful to share time with her again.  It will be my turn to cross the border to visit her in a year or two.  A most blessed friendship that always picks up where it left off and always, always deepens with each pass.  And it was she who worked out that the apple peeler gadget could slink, adding to the fun of her visit.

Chuffed: with the lovely Ally's lovely collection of teacup pictures.  Looking at these is as good as sitting down with a cup of Early Grey tea and a good book.

Almost: ready for the Holiday Bible Club programme that our church runs for five mornings during the first week of the July holidays for school children.  I had to overcome significant inertia to get my contributions of craft projects for the HBC prepared.  Thank you to those who heard my whinges and prayed.  I'm well on my way now.  And I am especially pleased with the lion puppet and also Gideon's tea light in a jar.  (Deb...that tea light craft idea I sent you has finally risen to the surface.  I knew it would be useful one day.  But wow...it took me ages to find paper doilies in the shops.  And I felt ridiculous asking shop assistants for them.)

Reading: Mansfield Park by Jane Austen.  I thought I knew all of her novels but it seems I am not familiar with this particular one, so it has been great to read an Austen novel cold, as it were, without seeing it through my memories of a film or TV series.  Dear Jane does turn a beautiful phrase.  The question is, will Fanny marry Edmund or Mr Crawford, leaving Edmund to marry Mary Crawford? Or maybe she won't marry at all but become Aunt Norris' companion.  Fifty pages to go...

Enjoyed: the Egyptian exhibition brought out from the British Museum to our local museum. Immensely.  The boys loved the mummies and the canopic jars.  Real canopic jars that would have been used to house some poor distinguished Egyptian's innards.  I loved studying the papyrus documents and writings carved on stone.  It made me ponder the Bible anew - amazing to think that all those pages of the Bible would have been recorded like that, giving me fresh wonderment at the writing and preservation of God's Word.  I tried to pass my wonder onto the boys but it is very hard to compete with canopic jars.

Watching: West Wing all over again and loving it.  And I have to say that the last five or ten minutes of episode ten in series one are probably the best ten minutes of television you'll ever see. 

Continuing: to think about a quote I read on Wendy's blog a while ago from Ted and Joni Eareckson-Tada's book Joni and Ken, an Untold Love Story.  Says Joni, "If I were sitting next to you this very moment . . . wherever you are . . . I know what I would say to you. I would say, 'Oh, please pray for your partner.' Hands down, it beats any how-to marriage manual or nationally renowned couples' conference."

Looking forward: to all your good advice. 

Signing: off for now.  More craft preparation to do.  In front of a West Wing episode.

No comments: