Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

04 May 2012

JI Packer - my new best friend

I was finding it a bit hard to settle into a new book after finishing Knowing God.  I'd been hoping that my copy of 18 Words: The Most Important Words You Will Ever Know, another book by JI Packer, would arrive in time to coincide with coming to the end of Knowing God.  The postpak that should have contained 18 Words arrived in good time, but with the wrong book.  Messages sent back and forth, apology accepted and a new copy in the post to catch that day's mail - and yesterday it arrived in my letterbox.

So after a month of fairly random reading I was straight into the introduction.  Imagine my delight then when I read these opening words:

Keys open doors;  keywords open minds, and through minds hearts.  This book takes keywords from the Bible - terms, we may truly say, from God's own vocabulary - and spells out in a particular way some of the main thoughts linked with them.  The goal is understanding, faith and wisdom.

Deep, contented sigh.  Very happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Jim Packer is plagiarising you Meredith?! Brilliant. :-)

Sal

Meredith said...

Or is the reverse true, given that the book was first published in 1981?