Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

01 December 2011

Status Report: December



Eating:  Maltesers.  It says it's a jumbo share pack.  I won't eat ALL of them while I am sitting here.  But I doubt very much if I'll be sharing what's left! 

Drinking:  A glass of cold water with eight iceblocks in it, one of which is a lemon iceblock.  Would have been nice with a few mint leaves floating in it, but the mint is dead.

Reading from the Bible:  Romans.  The reading plan has crashed.  That is a post to follow.

Also reading:  Nothing.  Should be reading Come Thou Long Expected Jesus but I gave my copy away last week because there was someone who just had to have a copy of it.

Waiting:  For the order of books to arrive, including a small stash of Come Thou Long Expected Jesus books.  When that arrives I will be reading it again, and also sending a copy to Em.

Wanting to say THANKS:  To all the kind people who have been ordering books from The Book Depository through my blog.  I'm nearly up to £20 in commission.  Very excited and grateful.  Thank you.

Feeling like things are essentially in hand:  For Christmas.  The shopping is underway - including some done online this year.  I haven't really done that before but it has become a bit of a necessity this time around.  The fruit mince is bottled and brewing up ready for mince pies.  The family Christmas letter is underway, the Christmas card list is written (somewhat culled this year) and the cards are here and waiting...

However:  The Christmas cards don't seem to be writing themselves.  My week is generally quite full so I am not sure when I thought I was going to write them.  There is some time on the horizon dedicated to the task but as happens most years, some people will be receiving Happy New Year cards rather than Merry Christmas cards.

Glad:  There are nine more days of school.  Glad that the boys will be at school for nine more days giving me a few pockets of time to get some things done that will be hard to do when they are at home...like buy them a Christmas present.  And glad that in nine more school days they will be home,  we can hang around in our pyjamas a bit longer in the mornings and operate at a slower pace for a while.

Thankful:  For the opportunity to teach Scripture in our local primary school.  I have taught the three senior classes this year.  Today we covered the real meaning of Christmas and next week we will do a craft activity.  Craft for 80 children.  Am I crazy???  Some years I get to this point and think, "It's been good but I am glad there is only one more lesson to go for the year."  This year I feel a bit sad that it has come to an end.  I've had some of these children for three years and now they are off to high school.  Praying that my words and actions - these little seeds sown - will spring to Life in the hearts of these children.

Thinking:  This is probably my last Status Report.  It's been great fun but the opportunity of short summaries in status reports makes it too easy to not post in greater detail on some of these issues during the month.  It's making me lazy. 

Hoping:  You are able to spend some time in the hurley burley of December to think hard and be filled with joy at God's goodness in sending His Son Jesus to earth as we approach Christmas.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your status reports Meredith, so thank you! I will pray now for your scripture kids. I can't imagine doing it myself, but am so grateful for you and the many others who do. It's a precious, wonderful, near-invisible ministry that can yield such wonderful, but long-distant invisible-to-you fruit. May God's word sown indeed spring to life in these students.

love
Sal

Karen said...

Hey Meredith, thanks for the link to your fruit mince recipe! I've been looking for one that isn't too complicated (and doesn't involve finely chopping dried fruit...that's what all the Women's Weekly recipes say to do...). Hoping I will find time to make it in the next few days....

Meredith said...

Thanks dear Sal - always encouraging. You are a gift.
And Karen - glad to share the fruit mince love. This is SO quick and SO delicious. Go well with your mince pies. Hang on a moment...haven't you just had a baby?? You're amazing.

Sarah said...

I will pray for your Scripture kids too. Amen to what Sal said - I'm not sure I could do it, but I'm glad and encouraged by those who do. You just never know what God has been doing and will do in their lives. Praying that seeds have been planted and that God will send someone else to water them during their high school years.

Meredith said...

Thanks Sarah. I am grateful for your prayers and for Sal's for the children. It's such a privilege to be part of long term Kingdom work - which rests upon prayer. Thank you so much for part in that.