Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

17 March 2010

Off to smell some roses...

I haven't written a post in a week.  And truth be told, the posts of the previous three weeks were, by and large, hard won. 

I can't quite put my finger on what the problem is.  I don't feel like I have blogger burn out.  I have made a point not to put myself under any pressure to post at any time and I usually rest from blogging during the school holidays - more for the sake of our children...but there is a benefit for me too.  I would certainly be loath to shut this blog down - I have made some lovely friends and my relationship with God has deepened amazingly this last year or so as I've put my mind to writing about the things of Him in (I hope) a faithful way.  I love writing - it is a great form of recreation for me.  It's not like I don't have anything left to say - I have a nice, long list of ideas in my notebook to explore.  And I have been enjoying using some of my own photos this year - not that this rose photo is an original!

But somehow I have just lost my voice at the moment.  Certainly reading Calvin and Winslow have deepened my thinking and I while I find myself in the process of realigning my thoughts as a result of being on this steep learning curve, I wonder whether I'm just sounding plastic or worse still, self righteous just at the moment.  And I guess too I find my thoughts in other places just now - this year our youngest started Kindy and I have found the transition between what was last year and what will be next year surprisingly and unexpectedly...well, it has occupied a great deal of my brain space, which I didn't anticipate.

I have a couple of beautiful quotes that are scheduled to pop up over Easter and I may do a Calvin Club update but otherwise I'm pulling up stumps until after the April school holidays and then I will see how things are going.  I'm going to keep reading a few blogs - although I am going to narrow the field down there too. 

I have no idea how many people read The Key to the Door - it doesn't boast a huge readership but amongst its ranks are some very special women and so to those dear friends I wanted to say, I am off to smell a few roses until mid-April.  And maybe to cook a roast as well!

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

Your blog is a blessing because of the way you have sought to share deeply about important matters of faith and what it means to persevere in Christ in all the complexities of life. You sound neither plastic or self righteous!
I'm praying for you that your break from blogging would be refreshing as you adjust to this change of seasons in your life. You are such an encouragement to others and you are much loved!

Ali said...

Enjoy the break Meredith and the perfume of the roses! (I think we all know how you feel - one just loses the blogging mojo sometimes, and I think that's quite reasonable.)

Cathy McKay said...

Meredith, Have a wonderful rest.

I understand the "brain full, words dormant" phenomenon.

I look forward to April. Well done on drawing good lines for yourself!!

xxc.

Helen said...

NOOOOOOOO! You can't go smell the roses for that long! Too long! I'll miss you! I can put my finger on what is wrong, your Real Life Blogging Buddy has moved too far away! I need some lamingtons, do you home deliver?

mattnbec said...

Enjoy the roses! And Easter. Maybe try a lamb roast as a passover-style thing for Easter.

x Bec

Meredith said...

Thank you dear friends for your encouragement and fellowship. And for indicating that you will be back in April to see if I am back, which I am sure I will be.

Helen - no...can't home deliver from 3206km away. So you will just need to come back.

Sarah said...

Please don't go! I've only been reading here for a few months and have been greatly encouraged by what you have shared.

Meredith said...

Thanks Sarah. I'm sure I won't be going on a permanent basis. Just need some headspace. It's been good already just to have some thinking space. And rose smelling thus far has taken the form of watching MANY episodes of West Wing! I'm expecting that to change to reading books next week!

Sharon said...

Meredith, enjoy the break from blogging. I know that my break from blogging has left me thinking more clearly about all sorts of things. Thanks for the list of Easter readings as well. They are just short and sweet enough for reading at breakfast time, and Josh and Anna are helping do some of the reading as well, so that is another bonus. Jeff is doing a lovely job of explaining them to us. Thank you so much.