Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

01 November 2009

Lean Hard




Child of My love, lean hard,
And let Me feel the pressure of thy care,
I know thy burden, child; I shaped it,
Poised in Mine own hand, made no proportion
In its weight to thine unaided strength;
For even as I laid it on I said,
"I shall be near, and while she leans on Me,
This burden shall be Mine, not hers;
So shall I keep My child within the circling arms,
Of Mine own love." Here lay it down, nor fear
To impose it on a shoulder which upholds
The government of worlds. Yet closer come,
Thou art not near enough; I would embrace thy care,
So I might feel My child reposing on My breast.
Thou lovest me? I know it. Doubt not, then,
But, loving Me, lean hard.
by Octavius Winslow

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Dearest Meredith,
This poem has been much in my heart and mind of late. I found out recently the author is Octavious Winslow. The sweet, sustaining love of our Saviour is carrying me at the moment. Your blog has encouraged me to keep looking to Him. Thankyou for all you write, God is using you mightily!

Helen said...

I don't know your friend that is having a tough time Meredith, unless it's me counting down the days till November the 20th?? LOL But wanted to say, having you as a friend hopefully makes the tough time a bit less tough for them. x

Meredith said...

Steph and Helen, I am sitting here with tears in my eyes and thankful to God for both of you who have greatly enriched my life. And today with your precious comments, you have both encouraged me more than you know. Thank you.

Steph - I am SO delighted to find out about Octavius Winslow!! I can't tell you how many times I have shared that poem with others and I am so glad to now be able to attribute it to its rightful author. Moreover, I have just Googled Octavius and there is wealth of information about him. I owe him a debt for these great words that I have passed on many times and may just repay it with a post or two in his honour.

And thanks Steph for going to a big effort and getting yourself a profile to leave a comment here. Thank you. God bless. You are in my prayers. Mxx