Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

29 October 2009

A Good First Impression - The Visual

I'm not the most visually aware person in the world. If something is not right, I am more likely to pick it up by the tone of your voice rather than your appearance - by the dynamics between the people in your home rather than the state of your home. I'm quite a perceptive person, but making use of visual cues is not dominant in my armoury of perception.

However I have learned that this is not so for all people. I have a friend named Helen who is very visually aware. One peek at her blog and you will see why. Helen's world is all about colour and form and balance and beauty. Where my table has battered old placemats and this morning's crumbs from the toast, Helen's table has a quilted table runner and a scented candle burning. Helen is a very grounded, practical person. But the visual impression is important.

And time spent with Helen is rubbing off on me. I realise that even though the visual aspect is not going to feature strongly for me as I form first impressions, this is not so for all people! So maybe we are not creating a good first impression at my place given that when we open the door to you, this is the first thing you will see.


Yep! Three new loos!*
And as you enter and your eyes are averted to the right (having recovered from the initial shock of our indoor water feature) you notice this disaster area...

What a mess! And actually, you don't have to come inside to have your eyes assaulted. Take a look at this "garden bed" right next to our letterbox.


So to show that I am committed to working on this creating a good first impression thing, I am launching a new list in my sidebar...The "Creating a Good Visual First Impression" TO DO List. You can keep an eye on it and see how we are progressing. Mind you, it is lurking quite low on my sidebar at this point, which could cause some to question my commitment to this task...

* Even though the sight of three toilets in our entrance hall is shocking, it does create rather good talking point and it has certainly proved to be a fantastic icebreaker when new people come to visit.

4 comments:

Helen said...

Look at that indoor water feature! Walking in your house won't be the same when they get installed. You forgot to mention too that the scented candle on my quilted tablerunner on my table, was a present from you! See you tomorrow. X

Meredith said...

Ah, Helen I didn't want to boast! But there you go - evidence that you are having a good effect upon me...helping me to develop some style and good taste!

Jean said...

:) It seems we have even more in common than we realise. I admire your bravery, and am (almost! but not quite!) tempted to put up some photos of my own!!

Meredith said...

Selective self-disclosure! There are various doors that remained closed to the public eye in our house...and they will never see the lense of a camera!!!