Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

05 September 2009

Two Families - One Saviour


It was the funeral this morning for a man from our church. He had been ill and disabled for many years following a car accident and he'd been especially unwell this last year. His death was one that brings with it relief (for him and his family) but also great sorrow.

This morning I stood in the kitchen preparing Saturday morning breakfast dressed a little differently from most Saturday mornings. Instead of the usual Saturday morning attire of jeans and a windcheater, I was in a black skirt, black tights, black shoes, a white shirt, cream jumper and pearls. My husband came in wearing his black suit.

And yet I prepared our usual Saturday morning breakfast - toast with chocolate spread, corn flakes with honey drizzled over the top, meusli with lots of fresh fruit - things we don't necessarily eat during the week because it wouldn't constitute a good start to the day or because it is too slow to prepare or consume in the rush to get to school. And the boys came out of their rooms in their play clothes, excited because they were spending the morning with the family of R's best friend while we were at the funeral. They turned on some music and started to dance while they waited for breakfast.

This morning's choice of dance music? Colin Buchanan's CD Real Hope - track one - "Jesus My Lord" - played four times in a row. Here are the lyrics*.

Jesus my Lord, my God, my all,
Hear me my Saviour when I call.
Hear me and from Your dwelling place,
Pour down the riches of Your grace.

Jesus my Lord,
You I adore,
Oh make me love You more and more.

Jesus what did You find in me,
That you would deal so lovingly?
How great is the joy that You have brought,
So far exceeding hope or thought.

Jesus my Lord,
You I adore,
Oh make me love You more and more.

Jesus if You shall be my song,
To You my heart and soul belong.
All that I have, all that is Thine
And You are my Saviour, You are mine.

Jesus my Lord,
You I adore,
Oh make me love You more and more.
It is an amazingly happy and upbeat song. I love it when we start the day with that song. Even more, I love it when my children choose to start the day with that song.

Today one family started the day knowing they would be laying their their beloved husband and father to rest. Another danced. But both families started the day trusting in Jesus - both confident that Jesus is Lord and that today another saint is with Him in Paradise.

* Lyrics by Henry Collins

No comments: