Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

12 June 2014

Encouragement to share what you know

Like attracts like.  So I am pretty sure that you, dear reader, like reading your Bible like me.  That you probably know your way around the whole of the Bible.  That you know Bible reading isn't just a daily exercise one does to tick a box but something we do to deepen our relationship with God.  That the more you read the Bible, the easier it is to understand and the more you understand it, the hungrier you are to read it.

It occurred to me a while ago that rabbiting on about Bible reading here on this blog is probably "preaching to the converted" for the most part.  I like to keep you all ( and myself) encouraged.  But guess what??  I had a light bulb moment a few months ago.  There are people who I sit with in church week after week who find the Bible an enigma. 

Last year I got up in church during the notices section and started flapping my favourite Bible reading plan around - just like I do my virtual flapping around of it periodically on this blog  - explaining the options of doing the full plan or just a part of it (like following along the New Testament readings to start with, to help get into the habit.)  And at various points this year I've got up and given my three suggestions for those who started but ground to a halt or for those who never started and wished they had...
  1. Start from where you left off and don't worry about the dates.  Don't be a slave to the dates.
  2. Start from where you left off, do double readings as you can and soon you will catch up.
  3. Cut your losses and start from today's date.
And in late May, just as the plan approached the section where the Old Testament becomes, shall we say, complicated...1 and 2 Kings...I ran a guided tour of the Old Testament.  It was a simple thing really.  It took an hour and a half over tea, coffee and snacks.

I spent ten minutes going through the contents page of the Old Testament explaining the three different sections and how the genres change, each requiring a different approach to reading.

 
I then spent 40 minutes going through this road map, telling the story of the Old Testament that is covered in the history books.  Explaining how the kingdom splits in two is the key sticking point.

This diagram is from
Gospel and Kingdom: A
 Christian Interpretation of the Old Testament
by Graeme Goldsworthy, page 32.
(Published by Paternoster Press in 1982)
 

We had a break for a cup of tea and then I spent the last half hour showing this page from the IVP New Bible Commentary found at the beginning of the section on 1 and 2 Kings - a table of who was king - when and where - during the period of the kings.

 
Finally I gave them my notes from here about how the books of the prophets fit into the chronology of the kings, most of which I had sourced from the Lion Handbook to the Bible - nothing too complicated.  I didn't read through the notes slavishly but just ran through a couple by way of example and left it at that.  (Feel free to lift and use this - or anything else from my blog - if that is helpful.)

I'd been a Christian ten years, struggling my way through the Bible, before I met that roadmap.  What a revelation!  And as long time readers will know, it is only in recent years that I have come to grips with the prophets - and that in only a small way.  But now I've got a handle on that section of the Bible and it's making much more sense.

One of the women who came to the guided tour said that she had been in churches and in and out of the Bible for 60 years and this was the first time she'd had this stuff explained to her.  This isn't a criticism of the preaching she's sat under all these years.  You just don't learn frameworks during church sermons.  That's not what sermons are about.  She left encouraged to press on with the hard but rewarding work of Bible reading.

Maybe you don't know your way around the Old Testament yet.  And if not, these particular posts might be of help.  Maybe you DO know your way around the Old Testament but don't think you could possibly manage to do something like this.  That's fine.  This is not for everyone.  But I'm pretty sure that some of you could do this.  And if that is you, then can I encourage you to have a go at sharing the framework of the Old Testament with those around you.  (Or ask someone you know who could do this sort of thing to do it for you.) 

There will people you know - people who maybe, just maybe, don't read as widely as you might - who don't know how the Bible hangs together and whose lives will be transformed if you give them the basics.  I've been blogging about this sort of thing for years.  It's good to have shared it in person with some of those I meet Sunday by Sunday in church and I'm looking forward to doing it again some other time down the track.

Oh, and by the way, if you aren't using a Bible reading plan but wished you were, the beginning of July is another EXCELLENT entry point for this plan.  And I'll be saying that in church in the next couple of weeks too.

No comments: