Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

09 November 2013

Life in the digital age

I was in a shopping centre recently and needed a map of the place.  I went to the main entrance where, once upon a time, there was a stand with a large map, and there you could collect a brochure with a map to take with you around the shops.  So I got to the big map but there were no small maps to be had.  Just something that looked like this.


Apparently if your smart phone chats with the smart looking design, you get a map on your phone. 

The trouble is, I have one of these.


I wanted a map, not an App.  No map for me that day.

There has been a lot of proverbial ink spilt over the good and the bad of the digital age.  And there was a lot I could have said...about the pros and cons of text messages and Facebook, about how I can see the benefits of eReaders but still prefer a book myself, about my decision to not leave a digital footprint of my children on the Internet (or at least, only leave a very small and hopefully fairly imperceptible one) and wondering in time whether they'll regard that as a good decision or not. 

Instead I decided to make this a lighthearted effort about how, on first spec, our household is really in the digital dinosaur age, despite the fact that I have a blog and organise my life via text message.   

But a funny thing happened on the way to this post.  If there is anything true about life in the digital age, it's that things move quickly.  At the beginning of the week I had started in on a post about what it is like to live in the age of digital dinosaurs - hence my opening gambit with the map anecdote.

In thinking about all of this, I was discussing with my beloved about how at some stage (in the next year or so) we might need to get ourselves an iPad (you know, thrust ourselves into the current century) to find out how they work, to get on top of this whole App thing and generally stay slightly ahead of the game with the kids.

Said conversation took place, as co-incidence would have it, in the same week that the tax return came in.  And behold, it is the end the week and we have an iPad on order, set to arrive any moment now.  So having just rewritten the post for this writing prompt, all I need to do now is get that iPad, find some small child who will tell me how to turn it on, download Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja and I will be set.  How could I have ever imagined I was living with the dinosaurs?

No comments: