Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

10 July 2013

Why didn't I pray?

After an afternoon spent with a friend talking deep and good things over a pot of tea why, to finish off our time together, didn't I pray?

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.  Eph 6:18

When I sat and listened to someone talking about how truly hard life is at the moment, instead of saying, "I will pray for you," why, then and there, didn't I pray?

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Matt 11:28

During recent weeks, when I found myself fretting over something again and again why, instead, didn't I pray?

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  Phil 4:6

While on the phone and hearing the details of a friend's crisis or as I sat and read the email with the bad news why, on the spot, didn't I pray?

Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.  Gal 6:2

When I was wronged or just plain irritated why, instead of harbouring bitter thoughts, didn't I pray?

Bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.  Luke 6:28

When I was standing in the queue for all that time why, instead of staring into space blankly, didn't I pray?

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.  1Thes 5:16-18

Why didn't I pray?

Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. Luke 18:1

8 comments:

Deb said...

Excellent reminder.

Meredith said...

Thanks Deb. This question has been roaming around my head for the last two or three weeks and has increasingly served as a helpful reminderto me as well. And also a cause for repentance - because each scenario is based on a recent true story.

Sarah said...

Now I'm asking myself the same thing. Instead of internalising it and trying to deal with it myself, I need to lay it at God's feet.

Meredith said...

Absolutely Sarah, but without dwelling on past missed moments that would have been better spent in prayer and instead pressing on. I wrote this in the past tense, but in my head I was always looking forward - and as Deb said, this serves as a reminder for those future moments. I do find myself constantly reminded now to pray immediately, if only in short bursts, because better to pray a short prayer than no prayer.

Karen said...

Great post, Meredith. Thank you.

Meredith said...

Thanks Karen.

Susie said...

Encouraging! I am hearing this everywhere at the moment. I guess I need to pray!

Meredith said...

Thanks Susie. Yes, while it read negatively looking back it is supposed to read positively looking forward. So I am glad that you have been encouraged. I find I am doing better since giving this issue some thought and some words.