Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

14 August 2012

a) and/or b)

I'm conscious of the fact that everytime I write a book review on this blog I say

a) I really loved this book, or

b) words to that effect.

The thing is, because

a) I am not famous, and

b) this blog isn't famous

it means that no-one sends me books to review.  And I am glad about that because if they did

a) I would have to read the books people sent me, and

b) then I would have to review them.

And if I didn't particularly

a) like them, or

b) agree with them

I would need to say so in order to

a) be honest, and

b) maintain my integrity.

So it will be that everytime I review a book I will say

a) I really loved this book, or

b) words to that effect

because I only ever read books that

a) have come highly recommended to me by people whose opinion I trust, or

b) I have stumbled upon myself and think they look good

For those moments when I read

a) novels, and

b) this goes for non fiction too

 I will only read the books

a) that have come highly recommended, or

b) that have captured my imagination within the first quarter or so of the book

because

a) reading time is precious and hard won, and

b) life is too short to read bad books.

So I am thinking that I should change the my label on such posts from

a) BOOK REVIEWS, to

b) BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS

because any book mentioned on this blog will be accompanied by the words

a) I really loved this book, or

b) words to that effect

and I will be mentioning it by way of

a) warm commendation, and

b) not with a view to criticising it.

So

a) happy reading, and

b) just thought you should know.

7 comments:

Helen said...

Well...
a) lol!
b) Life is too short to read bad books! Agreed! Am struggling through "Up Loud and Extremely Close" at the moment, yawn!
c) Hope you and the biys are well. x

Wendy said...

Thanks Meredith! I am so similar - the generally average books I read just never get reviewed, so almost every book I review comes recommended because I liked it. It's nice to know when I see a book you have reviewed that you liked it. It means I have a good chance of liking it too!

Meredith said...

Well hello Helen! Long time no see. I haven't read "Up Loud and Extremely Close." In fact I only heard about it (in its movie form) for the first time a week or so ago. By the sounds of your yawn I won't be reading it!!

Wendy - at least you read the average books. As I said, these days I don't bother persevering with any book (just in case it gets better) that doesn't thoroughly captivate me pretty quickly. Which is why I am always swooning about every book I read. But I like it that we are pretty likeminded - you are always good for a book suggestion...and I hope you have enjoyed some of my suggestions too.

Deb said...

Meredith, I left you a comment in reply to your comment on my blog about the magnet. :)

Meredith said...

Oooooh thanks Deb. I'm heading to your place right now!!

Sharon said...

a) Such a funny post! and
b) I don't have time to comment on half the great books I read, let alone comment on the bad ones I push through.
Sharon

Meredith said...

Ah dear Sharon, that just proves my point. Gotta stop reading the bad books. Life is too short. :-)
Mx