Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

28 June 2012

Dispelling a rumour and crossing over to the dark side

There is a bit of a rumour going around that I'm a tea snob.  It's been circulating for years.  And I may or may not have contributed to it with...

...the oft regaled tales of the tea making ritual in my family home - warm the pot AND the cups (certainly no teabags there), take the pot TO the kettle otherwise the water won't be at maximum boiling point, DON'T stir the tea while it is brewing, milk first and tea second...

...insisting in days of old when friends said, "Let's go out for a coffee," on saying, "Yes, let's go out for a cup of tea," until several just got used to saying, "Let's go out for a cup of tea" even though most of them would be drinking coffee...

...continuing to say, when friends drop over, "Would you like a cup of tea?" and then remembering to offer coffee a bit further down the track. (I wonder how many people drink tea at our house purely out of politeness)...

...a year of putting funny little quotes about tea on Facebook as I worked my way through a quote-a-day-about-tea calendar a year or two ago...

But the truth is, I'm no tea snob.  It doesn't have to be teapot tea.  Teabag tea is fine.  OK.  Got that little one cleared up.  But there's more.

You see, I need to say that I recently crossed over to the dark side.  No, I haven't become a coffee drinker.   (Insert personal message here to my two dear tea drinking friends who have recently discovered coffee - I still love you, even if in one case I am still speechless!)

I crossed to an even darker place than that.

I now drink decaffeinated tea.  Decaffeinated. Teabag. Tea.

I used to wonder at the whole decaf thing.  If you are going to drink tea it may as well have the caffeine in it.  (And how do they decaffeinate it anyway??)  But I don't actually drink tea for the caffeine hit.  I drink tea to have a warm drink.  And alas, whereas once if I didn't fall asleep within three minutes of hitting the pillow I thought I had insomnia, in recent months sleep has been somewhat elusive.  So I decided to drink decaf tea during the evening to see if that made a difference.  And having got used to it, I find myself drinking it most of the time now when I'm at home. 

My sleep is good again.  The tea in its decaf rendering is fine.  And I'm not a tea snob.  Although I still prefer to drink it from a reasonably fine cup or mug.  Chunky cups just won't do.  That's all.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Can't remember if I personally fessed up to you that I now drink coffee? Or perhaps you learnt of that betrayal from FB? Oh dear.

Meredith, your tea ritual is a precious, wonderful, lovely thing about you, linked as it is with the sharing of life's ups and downs and how to live well in the Lord.

Am forwarding your post to our friend right now...

love
Sal

Meredith said...

Yes, dear Sal, you are one of the two and it is all good. And I am looking forward to many more times of drinking tea with you - and caffeinated leaf tea from a teapot will be great morning, noon or night. Mx