Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

25 February 2012

Did you know...

...that God is described as "Sovereign Lord" over 200 times in the book of Ezekiel?  Which is interesting given that Ezekiel is a prophet to the people of Israel  who are newly in Babylon and who would be wondering at God's sovereignty following the ordeal of exile.

But Ezekiel knows that God is sovereign.  After describing his first vision of God he says,

This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD.  When I saw it, I fell facedown, and I heard the voice of one speaking.
Ezekiel 1:28.

This was the appearance
of the likeness
of the glory
of the LORD.

A few times removed and even so, he fell facedown in the fear of the LORD.  What an amazing example of reverence, awe, obedience, faith, belief, fear of, trust in, love of and dependence upon the LORD.

2 comments:

mattnbec said...

I really like this very passage for this very reason. For me, it's like a picture of the definition of what awe and fear of the Lord is.

Meredith said...

It's magnificent, isn't it.

Have you read Jean's definition of "fear of the Lord"? I'm sure she won't mind me linking to it...

http://jeaninallhonesty.blogspot.com.au/2009/06/fear-of-lord-5-what-it-means-to-me.html