Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

25 February 2011

And a corrective against feeling smug

I read the Spurgeon reading last Friday.  It was one of my favourites in Be Still, My Soul.  I found it greatly encouraging but could see that there was the potential to feel smug - to allow pride to creep in when faith is "tried and proved."

The next morning I was reading Luke 10 (does it sound like all I do is read??) and there I found a corrective against potential pride.

After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go. He told them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field...
The seventy-two returned with joy and said, “Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name.”
Jesus replied, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”
Luke 10:1-2,17-20

It's not quite the same situation but I think the principle applies.  No matter what our circumstances are, whether things are good or bad, the one thing that is our source of joy is that we have our names written in the Book of Life.

No comments: