Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

28 January 2011

A new take on IOUS

Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain. (Psalm 119:36)
Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law. (Psalm 119:18)
Unite my heart to fear your name. (Psalm 86:11)
Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days. (Psalm 90:14)


I first heard about this lovely prayer, assembled directly from Scripture by John Piper, from Jean.  She suggested it as a good one to pray prior to reading the Bible.  I copied it out on the front page of my Bible and have used it almost every day before reading the Bible ever since.

I recently looked it up on John Piper's blog to find it mentioned in an article about how to pray for the pastoral staff at his church.  It turns out he uses the IOUS prayer to pray for those close to his heart. 

It is a beautiful way to pray for those we love - great prayers to pray for others and ourselves - as well as for our own times reading God's Word.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I am loving the Psalms right now! We have just finished a sermon series on them at church, we are reading more from a Bible Brief section in a previous issue of The Briefing, and I am about to start on God is Enough by Ray Galea (also on selected Psalms). Hopefully I'll be reading that and having a chat about it with some ladies from church in a book chat/discussion down the track. It's good to be reading Psalms in the middle of all the hard times happening here.
So that prayer looks great. I will make sure I get a copy.
Just wanted to say too that I picked up an old copy of Good Taste at my sister's place while we were helping my family clean up their house, and I found you in there taste-testing!! I used to subscribe to GT but had just stopped before your edition...running out of storage space for all the food magazines I buy...

Meredith said...

Hi Karen,

I hope you are looking forward to a quiet, uneventful, peaceful weekend.

That is hilarious about the Good Taste magazine!! It was something I did on a complete whim last year. Lots of fun. A shame your subscription ran out when it did. You missed the best one ever!! Hee hee. But then, you wouldn't have recognised me back then and may have completely overlooked the pears in parchment! Indeed, if I hadn't been forced to make it, I would have overlooked it too! I hope that little discovery was cause for a little smile amidst a tough time.

Your focus on the Psalms sounds great. I pray that you will be comforted, find peace and find perspective - God IS sovereign - as you dwell on this part of Scripture.

Mx