Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

11 January 2010

Lists too Good not to Share # 2 - Reading

Until February I am only posting on Mondays and will be showcasing some helpful lists I found on other people's blogs during 2009.
The series is called "Lists too Good not to Share."
I have received full and direct permission to reproduce these lists here from the owners of the blogs who originally featured them.


Did one of your New Year's resolutions have something to do with reading? Reading more? Or getting started on some solid reading perhaps? Two weeks into the new year is your resolve weakening?

Here is an inspiring list all about reading that encourages and enthuses - a distillation by Justin Taylor from Between Two Worlds of some longer posts by one Professor Bruce Ashford.

On “what” to read:

1. Guard your time in the Scriptures.
2. Avoid limiting yourself by era, tribe, or category.
3. Reading the great authors is more helpful than reading a great number of books.
4. Make a list of categories and read a selected number of books each year, in each category.
5. Read a few select journals and magazines.

On “how” to read:

1. If you would like to become a disciplined reader, you probably need to make a plan.
2. Figure out your “reading style.”
3. Always carry a book.
4. If possible, drink and read at the same time.

On “why” to read, suggesting that reading does the following:

1. Sharpens the mind.
2. Exercises the mind.
3. Gives one something about which to converse.
4. Allows one to “travel” to other times and places.
5. Reduces stress.
6. Provides an inexpensive and low maintenance form of entertainment.

Doesn't that make you want to make a cup of tea and find a good book? To that end, I have updated my reading list for 2010 on my sidebar. Now, where is that book?

3 comments:

Sharon said...

I see the Chronicles of Narnia has made it to your summer reading list. Jeff has recently finished reading The Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe to our lot and is now (after a short spell with an abbreviated 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea) is reading The Horse and His Boy after dinner each night to the kids. They love having Jeff read to them even more than having me read to them. And he is enjoying it as well.

As you read The Cross Centred Life, you might want to listen to the CD "Songs for the Cross Centred Life" put out by Sovereign Grace music. Amy put me on to it last year and I really like it!

Hope all is well with your family.

~ Sharon

Helen said...

I read 5 books in my 2 weeks and 5 days at Rotto. 3 of theme were about vampires, does that still count?

Meredith said...

Hi Sharon and Helen. Thanks for your comments.

Sharon, I'm really loving Narnia. It's just breathtaking. I can feel a review brewing! And yes, I am very familiar with that CD. The "Valley of Vision" CD was the soundtrack of 2008 and "Songs for the Cross Centred Life" was wafting past my ears almost constantly last year. It will be interesting the read the book with those wonderful songs firmly in my head and heart.

Helen - of course that still counts. Sharon has read the same books for most of the summer too!!