Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

08 November 2009

Sunday Morning

Here is a door.



This is where we go to church.
And on the door is a frame that displays a treasure.


One of the things it says is,

"Whosoever thou art that enterest this church, leave it not without one prayer to God for thyself, for those who minister and those who worship here. Pray for one another."

Most Sunday mornings I don't even notice the treasure on the door. I can be into my second or third conversation with someone before I even reach the threshold. Or else I am in hot pursuit of the advanced guard - R and N - to make sure they aren't persuading too many kind souls to share lollies with them or bothering (in well intentioned ways) those trying to get ready for the service.

I can go many Sundays without noticing this treasure. But when I am at church mid-week dropping something off, collecting something or doing some chore and I am at the door on my own, I read it. I read it every time because it is worth reading many times and being reminded.

This too inspires me.

It belongs to this building.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Meredith. Thank you for pointing out this treasure on our door - I have been attending the church for quite a few years and have never ever seen it, so I will have a special look next Sunday ! Sometimes we need other friends to open our eyes to what should be familiar things. Love, Dot C.

Meredith said...

It IS very easy to fly in without even noticing it. It's good that we are in such a hurry to get through the door into church!