Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

27 June 2009

My New Plan

I have given up watching "The Bill" on television.

Right. I have said it. I have made a public statement. Deep breath.

It's not that I don't like it. In fact I quite enjoy it. But I do my ironing while it's on. I usually finish the ironing before the second episode is over. So once the ironing is done I finish watching the rest of the episode. It finishes at 10pm. Then I put the iron, the ironing board, the clothes brush, the bottle of water for spraying the tough creases and the ironing away. And then I have a shower, check the children, say goodnight to my husband if he is still working and pray. And suddenly it has become a late night. Every Saturday night.

Sunday morning. Feel tired. Not completely organised for church. And have you noticed this too? You can get everyone ready to be out of the door in an organised, calm and happy fashion every other day of the week but on Sunday things seem to fall apart? I am certain that Satan does his best to interfere with families trying to get to church on Sunday morning.

So I have decided that I need to work a bit harder to avoid giving him a foothold.

I will still iron on Saturday nights. (I know, it's an exciting life!) To amuse myself I will watch ONE episode of "The West Wing." I've started right from the beginning. I caught it in the last three episodes of the final series and loved it! So there is a bit of catching up to do - 155 episodes all up - so that should keep me going for three years!!

The benefit is that the process can start earlier - I don't have to wait until 8:30pm to get going - and finish earlier too. I can do my hour or so of ironing, pack it all away and still have some time to get everyone's bits and pieces ready for Sunday morning. And if all goes to plan, I can have an early night and be fully focussed on having a calm Sunday morning. And then all of us should get to church in better shape.

That's the plan.

No comments: