Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

30 June 2009

Garden Update # 4

I've been thinking about my options given the problem with the clay.

1. Brick paving.
Well, I'll keep that one in my back pocket but it isn't my preferred option. And besides, other people around here have gardens so it must be possible to get around this.

2. Forget the flowers and get a ground cover with a shallow root system.
I don't think so. That would be boring and where is the challenge in that?? I don't want TOO much of a challenge...but I can do better than that!

3. Instead of planting into the ground, get lots more big pots and plant in pots. Arrange them in some funky way and then scatter gravel/rocks/pebbles around to fill in the gaps.
Again I am not keen. Firstly, all the trees nearby create a lot of leaf litter. I think it would be awkward to keep the area tidy. Secondly, this would be expensive to set up. Mind you, if push really comes to shove, it could be done as a gradual process. But I would need help because I think I lack the creativity to arrange things in "some funky way." Apparently there is a nursery nearby with a courtyard garden done entirely with plants in terracotta pots. I might go and have a look sometime soon by way of professional development.

4. Build up the beds.
This may end up being the answer. Takes infrastructure so this may become a slightly more long term project.

5. Buy a bag of gypsum.

And here it is...modelled beautifully by the parsley. I am going to try this in conjunction with some elementary composting. And probably borrow our neighbour's crowbar!!
I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: