Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

04 March 2009

Hope

I have been reading through Hebrews this week. Yesterday I read,

We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. (Hebrews 6:19a)

An anchor for the soul. That is deeply comforting.

As I read this I reflected again on the plight of many Victorian communities dealing with the bushfires and their aftermath, on others in Queensland dealing with the floods, on many around the globe dealing with uncertain economic times, on people I know who are having a hard time at the moment for all sorts of different reasons.

But we have an anchor for our souls – something to hold us sure and steady through the storms. It is hope - the hope we have of eternal life with God through Jesus Christ, amidst the fleeting things of this life both good and bad.

This morning I read,

So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. (Hebrews 10:35,36)

The will of God is to hold onto the hope of eternal life found in Christ.

This morning as I dropped R off at school I heard a dad talking to the class teacher about how he lost his job last week – another casualty of the economic downturn. He sounded upbeat but I know his family will be doing it tough. How I longed to tell him about the anchor for the soul and about persevering in having confidence in that hope.

Tomorrow, God willing, I will be into that famous chapter of Hebrews – chapter 11 – which commences,

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. (Hebrews 11:1,2)

My life is good at the moment. I am keenly aware that in some of the bad times I have travelled through, I did not persevere through them in peace, with my soul anchored by the hope we have in eternal life. I did badly. But I pray that the next time things get tough I will do better at persevering in the hope we have.

 For today I am thankful to be reminded of this beautiful truth and pray that I will be like a squirrel collecting nuts for the winter, storing this truth up against the tough times that will come.

We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.

2 comments:

mattnbec said...

"...I will be like a squirrel collecting nuts for the winter, storing this truth up "

We talked about exactly this idea in a Ladies' Bible study recently. We were looking at Jonah and noticed that what he says in chapter two was so much like one of the Psalms (can't remember which one of the top of my head, sorry). He had obviously done the squirrel thing. I really like the image you use there - I've even used it talking to others describing the idea of knowing scripture not only for now but for later too.

Thanks.

Bec

Meredith said...

Thankyou Bec for your encouragement. In the past I have found it all too easy to just coast in the good times but having travelled through a desert or two in recent years I can now see the wisdom in the squirrel thing. It is a discipline, but one that is certainly worth cultivating. Thanks again.