Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

31 December 2013

The last week of the year

25th December - a full, busy, glorious day.  It started early and finished late. 

26th December - an empty, quiet, glorious day.  It started late and finished early.  Most of the interim was spent on the sofa interrupted only by needing to get up for another cup of tea.  Also by, "Are we going to eat anything today?" at about 11:30am when most of the new Lego sets were dealt with.

(Note to self: MUST make the boys clean their rooms before Christmas day next year.  Too hard to absorb new things into old, messy bedrooms on Boxing Day.  Consequently, stuff strewn all over the place.  No matter, the sofa is clear.)

Came the full circle with Jane Austen.  I got her complete works last Christmas and read them all, as you know, through the year.  This year I got The Jane Austen Book Club for Christmas - my Boxing Day read.  A bit disappointing - less about the novels and more about the tangled lives of the book club members.  But there was a great appendix with various quotes from Jane Austen's contemporaries through to modern day commentators with their thoughts on Jane (may I call her by her first name?) and her writing.  Some good and some not so good.

Every time I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and hit her over the skull with her own shin-bone.
Mark Twain.  Not a fan, it seems. 

I imagined being a famous writer would be like being like Jane Austen. Being able to sit at home in the parsonage and your books would be very famous and occasionally you would correspond with the Prince of Wales' secretary.
J K Rowling.  A fellow introvert.

27th December - the mind involuntarily turns to 2014 and starts making resolutions.  Not by my planning.  It just happens and I can't seem to stop it.  The mind is amazing.  Head filling not with plans so much as personal goals.  No actual planning for the year ahead.  Still needing long stretches of time on the sofa, including an afternoon nap.

28th December - liking the personal goals that are forming in my mind.  Beginning to worry that I have no energy or inclination to make actual plans for the year ahead.  Have I crashed?  Another afternoon nap on the sofa.

29th December - Sunday - a great time at church.  Greatly encouraged by the saints.  Small thoughts of the year ahead begin to form and fill me with joy.  Plans, not just personal goals.  Even so, loving the idea of trading one dramatic resolution for 10,000 little ones.  This is so right.

30th December - suddenly it feels like summer holidays with the commencement of two weeks of swimming lessons for the boys.  We fall into the pattern of going to the pool in the morning and hanging at home in the afternoon.  Fall asleep on the sofa in the afternoon.  Again.  But wake up in time to make this...


...a Christmas pudding ice cream cake thing-o, in time for dinner with dear friends.  Christmas lingers a little longer.

31st December - swimming lessons this morning again. 

Been mucking around on the computer this afternoon.  Three status updates on my Facebook page (too many for one afternoon), two more for a Facebook group I'm in, answered four messages and am about to publish my second blog post for the afternoon as well.  Beginning to feel like I should have had a nap on the sofa.  The kids are watching Despicable Me so I could lay on the sofa and watch it with them and see if I make it to the end of the movie.  For all this posting and blogging, no sight of a post documenting plans and goals for the year ahead.  But enjoying reading others as they begin to appear.  I quite like this time of year in blogosphere. 

Maybe I will get to mine tomorrow. Or the day after.  Or some other time after that.  Definitely sliding into the summer holidays. 


No comments: