Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

05 September 2013

A hunger for God's Word

I'm continuing to think over the idea of giving the planning and implementation of personal Bible reading the same priority and attention that we give to making sure we eat our meals each day.
 
Which reminded me of a sermon I heard on Psalm 81 a long time ago.  Part of the psalm says,
 
I am the LORD your God,
who brought you out of Egypt.
Open wide your mouth and I will fill it.
Psalm 81:10
 
Fill their mouths with what?  Manna?  No, reading around those verses, it's about filling them with God's words and God's ways.
 
Want to see how wide a baby bird, starving and thoroughly dependent upon its parents, opens its mouth to have it filled?  Take a look at this absolutely gorgeous video - it's three and a half minutes and when I do the maths, I may or may not have spent more than an hour of my life watching it since it was first shared with me a while ago - and be filled with wonder.
 
 
That is desperate hunger - and exactly the image the psalmist is trying to convey.
 
Open my eyes that I may behold wondrous things out of your law.  Psalm 119:18

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Something Rick Warren has to say on this topic (from his book "Bible Study Methods"):
"Have you ever gone without food for a day? If you kept it up, you would get weak and sick. The same is true in your spiritual life, for the Bible is the necessary food for your soul. If you go without reading it very long, you will get spiritually weak and sick. Yet many Christians get by with one “meal” per week (for some, perhaps two meals) in church on Sundays. You would not survive long on one or two physical meals per week, so how can you in your spiritual life?
Job considered the Word of God more necessary than his daily food (Job 23:12). Jesus, quoting the Old Testament, declared that man needs to live by every word coming from God (Matt. 4:4; see Deut. 8:3). Peter called the Scriptures nourishing milk (1 Peter 2:2), and the writer to the Hebrews thought of the Word as solid food (Heb. 5:14)."

Meredith said...

Thanks Sharon. It's a great analogy. Like all, I guess it's not to be pushed too far, but within its limits it serves as a great reminder and spurs us on.