Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

02 April 2013

Status Report: April

Running:  a day late on this.  I was fairly wiped out after Easter and could hardly string two verbal words together yesterday, let alone face a computer screen.

Grateful: to God for all that Easter is and for the time to reflect on His amazing grace and goodness to us. 

Eating: nothing.  But we had lasagna for tea.  Home made.  Lasagna is pretty labour intensive in my view.  But everyone likes it.  Last year (I know, I'm very slow when it comes to these sorts of culinary breakthroughs) I worked out as I was making a lasagna to give away, that I could make two - one to give away and one for us to eat.  That took out some of the intensity from the labour.  And last week I figured if you can make two at once then you can also make four at once.  So we are eating one (tonight and probably tomorrow night too) and there are three in the freezer ready to give away or eat at a later date.  Cooking in bulk for the freezer is not new to me...it is the type of cooking I do best.  But bulk lasagnas - that's new and it's wonderful.

Drinking: nothing.  But I am about to boil the kettle.  Cup of tea, anyone?

Reading: the Bible from this reading plan.  Currently a week behind.  Not too worried about that.  I'll catch it up with some double readings here and there.

Also reading: Trusting God by Jerry Bridges.  This is my third Jerry Bridges book in a month.  I love this man's take on the Christian life.  But this will be the last of his books I read for now.  I'm not taking in quite as much with this one as the other two.  It's probably time to put his books down for a while.  But what a wonderful time it has been.

Figuring: I was a tad hasty in announcing my running career on Facebook a couple of weeks ago.  That comment - that I had taken up the C25K challenge - was met with all sorts of lovely, encouraging and endearing comments.  But my running career ("running" seems a bit over the top...thinking Cliff Young shuffle really minus the long distances) has been curtailed by an erratic schedule, the need for better shoes which will have to wait and the degree of my unfitness pitched against my age and the length of time that has passed since I did regular exercise.  So the current plan is long brisk walks on the treadmill and a bit of rowing on the rowing machine.  Until further notice. 

Wondering: if Google's decision to shut down Google Reader will mark the beginning of the slow death of small blogs.  I don't ever complain when Facebook and Google make changes.  They offer us these amazing free services so we can hardly complain.  And this isn't a complaint.  Just a wonder.

Thinking: about not complaining and gratitude and hope after taking a tour down my own little blog memory lane a couple of weeks ago.  A few cringeworthy moments in that tour as well but I was glad to have these three reminders, especially in light of the Jerry Bridges books I've read this last month about holiness, tolerated sinfulness and trusting in God.

Off: to clean up the kitchen and make that cup of tea.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Meredith

I too am sad that Google Reader will end soon but have been pleased to discover that there are free alternatives. The one I am using is Feedly (www.feedly.com) to which you can instantly transfer all the blogs you read in Google Reader.

Therefore I am hopeful that the end of Google Reader will not lead to the demise of small blogs.

Wishing you and your family a belated Happy Easter.

Linda (one of your UK readers)



Meredith said...

Hello Linda from the UK,

So nice to hear from you again.

I've had a bit of a look at Feedly but I'm a humble Internet Explorer girl and that doesn't seem to be an option for Feedly, as yet at least. So I will just sit back and watch and learn. But I am wondering if this is the impetus for me to cut back on the blogs I read...and just put my favourite ten or so blogs in the favourites list and keep up with them in the old fashioned way of clicking directly on them! And that is where I wonder if small blogs will fizzle (if a small blog's success is measured by its readership) because if lots of people go that line then there will be less blogs being read. That said, I don't imagine this small blog will stop, even if people stop reading it, because it is a handy place to store quotes and think thoughts - and if someone happens to read it along the way and is encouraged too then I am very glad and thankful to God for that.

Hope you had a good Easter.
Mx

Anonymous said...

Hi Meredith

Welcome back after your screen challenge. I hope it went well for you and your family.

Thanks for your detailed reply. It will be interesting to see if Feedly does produce a version for Internet Explorer. I am using it within Google Chrome.

With best wishes

Linda


Meredith said...

Ah, the screen challenge. The kids caved after a few days. The youngest was just dragged along by the process anyway so he didn't mind and the one who set the challenge learned what it means to listen to your conscience and what it means to follow the desires of your heart. We figured we would let him cave - it was his challenge after all - but not without guiding him through an interesting time of thinking and discussion and learning what one's conscience is. So it was an excellent exercise, even if not seen through to the end. The adults stuck with it for longer...but not quite the full week.