Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

08 February 2013

This year's BIG read

Last year I read Knowing God from cover to cover.  It was a big and brilliant read.  I think I have worked out that I am probably only good for one BIG read a year - and I have to break the back of it in the first six months of the year because the second half of the year is always busy and wearying which is not conducive to big reading. 

This year's big read is going to be Communion with God by John Owen.  Does anyone want to read along with me?  I don't mean in any formal sense with set readings for set weeks.  My own capacity to read ebbs and flows and as with Knowing God I suspect that this will be one to take slowly, bit by bit and reading other things along the way.  But if anyone wants to read a bit and blog a bit (or comment a bit if you don't have a blog) with me that would be fun.  Let me know.

2 comments:

Petrina said...

I like your idea of one big read a year. I'm still getting through the audio version of Knowing God, and I'd like to finish it before I get onto another biggie, but after that I might join you.

Meredith said...

Hello Petrina,

How great to hear that you are still pressing on with listening to Knowing God. I was so encouraged to read your comment. Keep going - you will be well rewarded with a breathtaking chapter on Romans towards the end. Hooray for you.

Communion with God comes highly recommmended. I hope to get started on it soon. No doubt the occasional quote will be appearing here soon.
Mx