Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

13 November 2012

How to read ALL of the Bible # 12 - And finally...


That is how to make basic sense of the Bible - how to navigate through all of its 66 books - and so ends this series.  Now there is nothing for it but to get busy and get reading your Bible.  All of it. 

I have found it helpful to use a reading plan to guide my reading and so once again I share the link to a whole series of really good Bible reading plans, any of which will help you to be systematic in your approach.  Drop me a line in the comments if you would like some help to choose a plan.

My only advice is this.  Don't wait until the 1st of January to get started.  Don't worry about all of those little dates on the side of the reading plans.  Ignore them.  Just put a tick next to the readings as you do them and disregard the dates.  We all know that starting on the 1st of January will only end in tears - be it two weeks or two months down the track.  And if you wait until the 1st of January, that will be a good six weeks before you can get underway.  How could you possibly want to wait??

The law of the Lord is perfect,
reviving the soul.
The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy,
making wise the simple.
The precepts of the Lord are right,
giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are radiant,
giving light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is pure,
enduring forever.
The ordinances of the Lord are sure
and altogether righteous.
They are more precious than gold,
than much pure gold;
they are sweeter than honey,
than honey from the comb.
By them is your servant warned;
in keeping them there is great reward.
Who can discern his errors?
Forgive my hidden faults.
Keep your servant also from willful sins;
may they not rule over me.
Then will I be blameless,
innocent of great transgression.
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
 
Psalm 19:7-14

No comments: