Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

20 June 2010

This Year's Bible Reading Plan - Mid Year Review

As I blogged here, I have been using this Bible reading plan this year.  It has involved reading a portion of the Old Testament, the New Testament and a Psalm each day.  It runs through the Old Testament and New Testament in order, front to back, and across the course of an entire calendar year you get to read the Old Testament once and the New Testament and Psalms twice. 

I have really enjoyed reading the Bible in this way.  Initially I found it a little disjointed but that's because for the last ten or more years, as I have endeavoured to read through the Bible each year, each day's reading has been from only one section of the Bible at a time.  So it did take a while to settle into moving across three sections of the Bible each day.  But I am well into this routine now and am loving it.

This particular reading plan has been really thoughtfully constructed.  Each day there is anything from three to six chapters of the Bible to read, depending on the length of the chapters.  For example, if there is a particularly long Old Testament chapter, then they only list the one OT chapter for reading that day.  Other days there may be three shorter chapters to read.  It has been all worked out so that each day's reading is approximately the same length.  I can get through the set reading in about 15 to 20 minutes if I don't pause to meditate or pray.

Now in ten days time we will turn the calendar over to the new month of July.  And this reading plan reaches its half way point.  On 1st July the reading plan starts at 1Chronicles (and here is some help to navigate Chronicles) and it starts back at the beginning of the New Testament and Psalms.  So if you are floundering about and would like a good plan, I warmly recommend you have a tilt at this one.  You have ten days to have a think about this, pray about it, print the plan out and get yourself prepared for 1st July.  Go on.  You won't be sorry.

The Bible is God's Bible; and when I see it, I seem to hear a voice springing up from it, saying, "I am the book of God; man, read me. I am God's writing; open my leaf, for I was penned by God; read it, for he is my author, and you will see him visible and manifest everywhere. —Charles Spurgeon

(From Charles Spurgeon's sermon of 18th March 1855  HT: Desiring God)

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thanks for this. I'm going to give it a go. xx

Meredith said...

That will be great Steph. And that is very encouraging and inspiring, given I know what you have to get through in the next two or three months! But let me go how you find it. Nice to think we will be reading the same passages together. (Although sometimes I am reading yesterday and today's passages if I am catch up mode!)